Saturday, September 21, 2013

Results from Liver biopsy on Wed Sept 18th, 2013- update

First THANK YOU to all for the PRAYERS, emails, calls, texts...they truly do help more than you can know!
Rays biopsy on Wed went well, no issues
His foot is healing...he is hobbling around now with no crutches and was actually able to LOOSELY put his shoe on today...that's improvement...that hasn't happened since Monday night.
Dr. Smith sent me an email yesterday morning with preliminary results. Rays biopsy and case will be discussed further next Wednesday when they meet each week as a panel of doctors to discuss cases further and come up with plans of action. I am including below just what Dr. Smith sent to me yesterday
Ray, Janet:
 The preliminary report of the biopsy is available and has been discussed with me.
 1.       There are NO changes concerning for rejection – NONE.
2.       There is change – inflammation (grade 2), and scar (stage 2) – that is the result of hepatitis C virus injury. THIS IS UNCHANGED FROM JULY 2013, AND AT THE MILDER END ON BOTH CASES.
3.       There is NO other pattern of injury present.
 The only thing at present is whether to put the cyclosporin dose up a little, and I am still thinking about that.
 Otherwise, no changes.
 Screening of patients for the study appears to have been slower than anticipated, and Duke is only just about to be finished with the IRB process and therefore ready to start screening folks. This delay works in your favor.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
All in all the results were positive. No rejection and when he speaks of cyclosporine that is Rays anti rejection drug- what to do with the dosing.
We should be hearing in the next week or two about screening for the trial- the delay works in Rays favor- every site gets activated at different times....Carolina has already begun, Duke's activation has come late- again it works for our favor.
Our prayer now- RAY GETS IN THE TRIAL and his liver CALMS DOWN, the liver numbers can come down some (if they are too high and out of whack he will not be considered for the trial), the HEP C CALMS down and gives it a rest for the time being....he is now on NO treatment for hep C which I am sure is WHY his numbers skyrocketed now- since it is no rejection.
This is CONSTANTLY a balancing act....my faith has been tested this week but I remind myself it is not in my hands or Rays, it is not in our timing. The lord DOES have a plan and he isn't done with Ray yet. THANKS to those who remind me of that when my faith is SHAKEN! My friend Cameron left me a sweet, sweet message this week and left me this verse: Psalm 9:10..."and they that know thy name will put their trust in thee: for thou, Lord hast not forsaken them that seek thee." Ray and I put our trust in God, it isn't always easy or pretty, but our trust is in him. HE will take care of Ray, this horrible virus, our family. Remind us of that dear friends when we are low.
Thanks again to all. Keep the prayers coming and we will update when we know more about the evaluation and trial. - Ray and Janet

No comments:

Post a Comment