Friday, July 20, 2012

A tribute to a sweet former student Andrew Uhlman

I wanted to take a minute today to say a "goodbye" and "see you again" one day to a sweet young boy who passed away all to soon a few weeks ago. I had the honor of seeing a previous student on the Golden Corral fundraiser night for Ray and our family. Andrew, his mom Charlotte and Andrews younger brother. Charlotte keeps up with us on Facebook and the family came out that night to support the Brooks'. I was stunned and excited to see Andrew and the cute little boy I remember teaching transforming into a handsome young man. He talked with me, Charlotte reminded me of how much Andrew loved his kindergarten teacher :) we hugged and then he obliged me in picture with his "old" teacher. I told him I didn't know how he was so old because I was still only "25 !!!" The year I began pregnant with Jackson I taught Andrew in Kindergarten at Elmhurst Elementary School. I remember Andrew as a sweet, loving, kind, smart, blonde haired, cute little kindergartner. Andrew had a sweet, helpful mom Charlotte who would come help, volunteer and strolled Andrews baby brother to school to pick Andrew up in the stroller. The following week after the week I saw Andrew at the fundraiser event he passed away from a head injury-he was riding his skateboard while on a family trip, decided to tackle a huge hill and fell, hit his head and passed away. I was SO SAD to hear this especially since I had JUST seen him the week before and had my picture taken with him. How thankful I was that I was able to see him and have a picture taken with him. I know that as a mother Charlotte's heart must ache daily. I can't even imagine. I know that Andrew is in the BEST possible place and we should be happy because of that but it is hard for those left behind who miss that person and ache to see them. Please remember Andrew's family in your prayers. Remember his mom Charlotte and his two brothers he left behind. Thanks Andrew for touching people's lives. Ray and I just bought Jackson a NEW helmet last night and had a SERIOUS talk with him about whether he is riding his bike or scooter he MUST have it on at ALL times to protect his head. It was frightening to us as parents because in a two week time span we knew of two young people who passed away in skateboarding accidents from head injuries.  Wearing a helmet to protect your head while out riding ANYTHING is a lesson everyone with young children need to remember and pass on. Goodbye sweet Andrew...see you again one day....THANKS for the picture!  Love-Mrs. Brooks

No comments:

Post a Comment