Thursday, April 21, 2016

Update on Ray- Surgery scheduled for tomorrow approximately 2:00

Surgery is scheduled for approximately 2:00-2:30....that time could move up slightly or back slightly depending on the day. Surgery could last anywhere from 3-6 hours. Normally time would be 3-4, if there is a lot of scar tissue to get through could run longer.
Basically over time the two ducts that were sewn together have formed a high grade stricture. Scar tissue where the two ducts were sewn together. The balloon procedure that was done earlier just wasn't strong enough to stretch that scar tissue and make it "stay" where they wanted it.
There is a fear about stretching the scar tissue too much because then you could tear it.
This duct has to now be surgically fixed the team feels is the best and only option. The surgeon with dissect the stricture cut out piece that is narrowed and reattach.
They will leave the "tube" in place so that while this new area of the duct is healing it is helped to stay open by the tube and scar tissue will not constrict it or the healing.
In 6 weeks the IR (Radiologist team) will do another evaluation of the area before pulling the tube to make sure they like the way everything looks.
The surgeon estimates that Ray will be out of work for 1-2 months.
I did ask the question...is this repair a fix or temporary that this would have to happen again....he said NO this should most definitely be a fix. Typically a fix is a fix.
Dr. Knechtle (like K-nect-ly) met with Ray early this AM and then came back and met with me this afternoon. He answered all my questions. He was recruited here by Duke. He was in Wisconsin for some time and then Emory University. He specializes in bile duct strictures and repairs. He isn't afraid of hard cases and typically is called in for hard cases. He is well aware of how hard Rays last transplant was and all the scar tissues/adhesions there were once they got a look inside.
He will be leaving for vacation after Rays surgery so he will also call in another surgeon- possibly Dr. Sudan or Dr. Ravindra (from 2nd transplant) to be on board and know the ends and outs of the case and surgery for while he is gone.
The anesthesiologist also came by, talked with us, and signed paper work for that tomorrow.

I will say Dr. Knechtle came over to where I was sitting after all my questions, grabbed me by the hand, looked me in the eyes and said " I am going to take care of your husband. I know you love him, I know he is important to you, I know you are scared. I love him because he is my patient. You worry about taking care of yourself tomorrow and let me worry about him. I am VERY good at what I do. I will work and do my very best, I am VERY good at what I do. And while I am working I will be praying to God for him and for me to work."
Of course at that time the tears were just flowing down my face. I told him thank you that meant a lot to me in many ways and that I too would be praying for him.
So you know I love to send SPECIFIC prayer request so here they are:
1.  Pray for the surgery to go smoothly, to find the duct and repair it as it needs to be
2.  Pray for little to NO scar tissue to block the view!
3. Pray that Rays kidneys can tolerate this surgery and bounce back quickly- they have been working overtime the last few weeks already
4. Pray for wisdom and discernment for Dr. Knechtle, pray that where is weak or needs your help father that you step in and guide him- thanking God that he is a godly man performing this surgery
5. Pray for little pain for Ray afterwards
6.  Pray for peace, comfort,  and that Ray, myself, the kids and both our moms, my dad feel Gods spirit and loving arms wrapped around us all during this surgery.
7.  Pray for those friends we have traveling Lord to help support and love on Ray and I.

I will update you all when surgery begins and after. Thank you all for praying, sharing this with others to pray, sending Ray text and emails, calling to pray with us over the phone, it just has gone on and on and it reminds us again that no one CAN or SHOULD go through anything like this on their own. We are truly lucky and blessed to have such people in our lives. Rays email: raybrooks@gmail.com, 252-347-1449
Thanks everyone,
Ray and Janet

No comments:

Post a Comment